Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Sure Sign of Parenthood


Last night I was watching some football in our family room. As I went to sit on the couch this image of my trusty old Fender amp caught my eye. I had to take a picture of it. Here's why...


I got this Fender amp for Christmas when I was a Senior in High School. I had recently joined a rock band, therefore my tiny Peavy beginner amp wasn't cutting it. I asked Santa (my parents) for a new and bigger amp. So, I was beyond excited when I received this amp that Christmas morning. I shredded on this thing for hours that day. It was awesome!


The Fender went with me to College. It was still my primary source of playing some rock guitar, but my roommate and I invented an alternative use for it. It was now also the sub woofer for our surround sound system. Nintendo 64 sounded awesome hooked up to this baby!


This amp has been with me through moves, different jobs, my marriage, and now with children. These days the Fender sits in a corner of our family room. Every now and then I take out the Tele and play some tunes on it, but for the most part it serves as a jumping board for Nathan to dive into all the stuffed animals. We also sometimes use it as a chair when guests come for dinner.


One of these days it will have a more prominent place in the house. But for now, my time is much better spent playing Memory or Rescue Hero's with Nathan or just laughing at Kate as she learns to wave or clap. Every stage of life has it's joys. My joy right now is hanging out with my family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Forget kids, bro. It's time to hit the road and make some music. Strap that thing on your back and start to dream.

Corey Bearden said...

Thanks for the advice Robert. Maybe one day. U2 and the Stones are still pounding the pavement. What are those guys, like 60 or something?